Monday 31 December 2012

Review and Swatches: Chanel Le Vernis Vogue Fashion Night Limited Edition Nail Colour in Provocation

Hello!

Have you heard of the Limited Edition collection Chanel has put out in honour of Vogue Fashion Night? There are three Le Vernis shades (the range also includes the matching Rouge Allure Velvet duo) described thusly by Chanel: La Provocante et Provocation: a unique autumn plum shade; La Délicate et Délicatesse: an intense pink heightened with a touch of fancy; L’Infidèle et Infidèle: a refined beige with a natural sophistication. They are only sold in 5 (I think) Chanel stores worldwide and I was lucky enough to get Le Vernis in Provocation for Christmas (bought at the Hong Kong store, for reference).


Chanel Le Vernis Vogue Fashion Night Limited Edition Nail Colour in Provocation
Chanel Le Vernis Vogue Fashion Night Limited Edition Nail Colour in Provocation




Chanel Le Vernis Vogue Fashion Night Limited Edition Nail Colour in Provocation
Chanel Le Vernis Vogue Fashion Night Limited Edition Nail Colour in Provocation


Swatch of Chanel Le Vernis Vogue Fashion Night Limited Edition Nail Colour in Provocation
Swatch of Chanel Le Vernis Vogue Fashion Night Limited Edition Nail Colour
in Provocation (appears darker and more purple in this photo)


Swatch of Chanel Le Vernis Vogue Fashion Night Limited Edition Nail Colour
in Provocation (appears lighter in this photo)
Review:
  • Packaging: The packaging feels solid and sturdy. It's a glass bottle with a plastic top. I was surprised, however, that when I went to open it, the squarish top came off and left the round inside top for me to work with (pictured above). Having never had a Chanel nail polish before, I thought this might just be how they work, but I did a quick internet search and found out it's not. That's a bit disappointing; for the price and the near-mythical Chanel label, I'd expect better quality packaging.
  • Colour: The colour is a creamy plum. It's a very nice, sophisticated darker colour. My one gripe is that it's not very shiny. I like my nail polishes shiny, so I think I might apply a high shine topcoat after finishing this post.
  • Formula: The formula is fairly thick (thicker than OPI) and you do get an opaque, if much lighter plum colour, result with one coat. I used two coats to darken the colour. One positive is that it dries very quickly. The downside to this is that being so thick and quick-drying, it does streak a little; I found it difficult to get a completely smooth finish on the nail.
  • Longevity: I got three days without chipping without a topcoat.
  • Cost: I don't know exactly how much it cost, as it was a Christmas present. I found that the RRP of their nail polishes was quoted as USD$26 for 13mL and AUD$39 for 13mL online. I am not sure if that is correct. As expected for Chanel, it's pricey. You get less nail polish (13mL compared to 15mL with OPI or 14.5mL with Revlon) for a far higher price. Is it worth it? With this nail polish, I wouldn't say so. I'm very happy to be given it as a present (love the colour) but with a top that comes apart and a formula with which I had difficulty getting a streak-free, smooth finish, I wouldn't pay $39 for it. For that price, you can get two OPI nail polishes.
Final Verdict: B-
Beautiful colour, fast drying but not shiny and a bit difficult to get even application. For the price, I expect better.

xo
Anna

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please comment- I would love to hear from you!